Gail Carriger in a Vintage 1950s Black Coat Dress with Red Accessories at BayCon 2017
BayCon used to be my con, you know way back in the day when I was first bouncing about in fandom (lots of comic book marvel cosplay). It was the first SF/F con I ever attended (not counting Star Trek). I haven't been back in years since it always takes place over the three day weekend in spring and that's a popular weekend for events. I am usually trundling about elsewhere. However, this year my local RWA chapter was invited down, and I happened to be in town, so I figured: why not?
The dress is a black 1950s coat dress with big pockets, lined in red, as are the cuffs of the sleeves. Because it's satin it doesn't travel well so you'll usually only see me in it at local events. I do love it, though. I'm wearing two crinolines under it to give it volume, but it could take more.
|Me and my BFF RWA girls! Lea Kirk & Tess Rider|
I've accessorized it with the following:
1. Vintage 1950s beret style felt hat.
2. Double strand of red beads with matching earrings, similar set for $25
3. Obligatory pen necklace, $20
4. Wide red vinyl belt, similar $30 (also comes in dark red)
5. Shoes of Prey pumps, wing tips, leather and patent designed by me, $200 (for my concerns working with Shoes of Prey please read this blog post)
There it is. This is certainly a favorite outfit of mine. I'm hoping to get to wear it again soon.
Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.
Product links on this blog are usually to Amazon using my associate code. At no additional cost to you this means I gets a slight kick back if you make a purchase. Thank you! This allows me to continue to produce this blog without sponsors.