It doesn't look so crappy anymore does it? Actually it's FAR from done. The bottom 'ring' is completed. There are five vertical panels to this skirt. I believe I'm going to do a reverse applique on one of the remaining panels, and then a double reverse applique, but we'll see. I still have to do something with the hem, too.
What I find very fulfilling, other than the actual work of hand-stitching, is seeing my spools of thread go empty!
Here's a detail - my stitches are not equal yet - maybe one of these days!
Sorry that this next photo is a little blurry - I changed lenses.
One thing I realized while I was doing, is that I didn't cut out all the appliques at the same time. So when I had to cut another strip of the greenish gauze, and draw more designs, the second time around they were much SMALLER than original. So I cut them out larger and in those appliques you can see where I goofed. BUT I think I'll use the permanent marker to decorate inside the applique..